This list of sources is in progress and therefor not final or credited academically. Do you know a source that can add to this project, please feel free to contact us.
Collection of images
Please also check out: Huey’s re-mix, a collection of images that remix and refer to the iconic image of Huey P. Newton in the Peacock-Chair. Click on the image to see more references in the post itself.
- Brewster, Bill, and Frank Broughton. Last Night a Dj Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey. Grove Press, 1999. Print.
- Buchhart, Dieter. Boom, boom boom for real. (from catalogue Barbican Centre in London in 2017)
- Ferguson, Kirby. Everything is a remix, video.
- Gaylor, Brett. RIP!: A Remix Manifesto, 2008.
- Navas, Eduardo. Remix Theory: The aesthetics of sampling. SpringerWienNewYork, 2012.
On the Black Panther Party
Books & articles
- Bloom, Joshua, and Waldo E. Martin. Black against Empire: The History and Politics of the Black Panther Party. University of California Press, 2013.
- Durant, Sam (ed). Black Panther, The Revolutionary Art of Emory Douglas. Rizzoli, 2007.
- Nelson, Stanley. The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution. Netflix, 2015
- Shames, Stephen and Bobby Seale. Power to the People : The World of the Black Panthers. Abrams, 2016
- Thomas, Pat. Listen, Whitey : The sights and sounds of Black Power 1965-1975. Pantagraphic Books, 2012
- Vincent, Rickey. Party Music : The Inside Story of the Black Panthers’ Band and How Black Power Transformed Soul Music. Lawrence Hill Books, 2013.
- Dhoruba Bin Wahad on Winning “Panther 21” Case
On visual analysis, semiotics and representation
- Barthes, Roland. Mythologies. The random House Group Ltd, 2009 (original 1972)
- Berger, John. Ways of Seeing. Penguin Books, 1972.
- Bogle, Donald. Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks : An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films. The Continuum International Publishing Group Inc. 2001 (Original 1973)
- Farris Thompson, Robert. Aesthetics of the Cool. Afro-Atlantic Art and Music. Periscope, 2011.
- Hall, Stuart (ed), Representation. Cultural representations and signifying practices (Sage Publications, London, 2003, first edition 1997).
- Richards, Kevin Malcolm. Derrida Reframed: A Guide for the Arts Student. (2008). Print.
- Beifuss, Arthur and Francesco Trivini Bellini. Branding terror. The Logotypes and Iconography of Insurgent Groups and Terrorist Organisations. Merrell Publishers Ltd, 2013.
- Casey, Michael. Che’s Afterlife. The Legacy of an Image. Vintage Books, 2009.
On America, counter-culture, Black Power and revolution
- Abramson, Michael and the Young Lords Party. Palante, Young Lords Party. Haymarket Books, 1971.
- Burrough, Bryan. Days of Rage. America’s Radical Underground, the FBI, and the Forgotten Age of Revolutionary Violence. Penguin. 2015
- Godfrey, Mark and Zoé Whitley (Ed). Soul of a Nation Art in The Age of Black Power. Tate Publishing, 2017.
- Powell, Richard J. Black Art and Culture in the 20th century. Thames and Hudson Ltd, London, 1997.
- Wolfe, Tom. Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers. , 1970. Print.